Monday, February 14, 2011

883. Mazzy Star--So Tonight That I Might See (1993; #44) (2)

883. Mazzy Star--So Tonight That I Might See (1993; #44) (2)

1. Fade Into You (8)
2. Bells Ring (?) (3)
3. Mary of Silence (?) (2)
4. Five String Serenade (?) (3)
5. Blue Light (?) (3)
6. She's My Baby (?) (3)
7. Unreflected (?) (2+)
8. Wasted (?) (4)
9. Into Dust (?) (3)
10. So Tonight That I Might See (?) (2)

REVIEW: A gorgeous, downbeat album highlighted by Hope Sandoval's haunting vocals. It's too bad I haven't heard more from them. I only know the first track, so it gets a 2 for now, but I'm sure if I listened to it a hundred or so times it would go up.

ED'S TAKE:
#883 - Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See (1993)

1. Fade Into You (10)
2. Bells Ring (10) I like the juxtaposition between Hope's vocals and the fuzz guitar underneath...shades of Jesus and Mary Chain?
3. Mary of Silence (10)...begins with a little Doorsian organ and then Hope's vocals and and Roback's guitar take over.
4. Five String Serenade (10) the combo of Hope's voice and a later-era Arthur Lee song...
5. Blue Light (10)
6. She's My Baby (10)...a bit on the kinky side?
7. Unreflected (9)
8. Wasted (10) Roback's bluesy guitar works well with Hope's voice.
9. Into Dust (10)
10. So Tonight That I Might See (10)...I love the almost hypnotic guitar riff in the background.....and, of course, Hope's voice.

OVERALL RATING: 10

Comments: What can I say? I LOVE her voice and the way it's used here. While there is surely a "sameness" to it in style/tenor, I never get tired of it here. Some of it is the arrangements behind her. One thing is clear, though. I suspect that the earlier albums I rate as "10"'s will have had a lot more obsessive/excessive play over the years than the later ones. It's not just the sheer number of years I've had them to play. It's the amount of music I've collected and tried to keep up with. I'm sure (who remembers clearly) I LOVED this when I first heard it but it hasn't been played that often since. That, of course, doesn't change how I feel about it. It's also an album that could be enjoyed with the lights down low at a low to sensible volume or on "11" with the speakers bursting.

No comments:

Post a Comment