Tuesday, February 15, 2011

876. Devo--Freedom of Choice (1980; #22) (1)

876. Devo--Freedom of Choice (1980; #22) (1)

1. Girl U Want (2)
2. It's Not Right (?) (2)
3. Whip It (7+)
4. Snowball (?) (2)
5. Ton o' Luv (?) (2)
6. Freedom of Choice (?) (2)
7. Gates of Steel (?) (2) (echoes of God Save the Queen)
8. Cold War (?) (1)
9. Don't You Know (?) (2)
10. That's Pop (?) (2)
11. Mr. B's Ballroom (?) (2+)
12. Planet Earth (?) (2+)

REVIEW: Sorry to say I never much cared for this band. I give it a 1, with this one not really having much of a chance to rise.

ED'S TAKE:

1. Girl U Want (9)
2. It's Not Right (8)
3. Whip It (9)
4. Snowball (8)
5. Ton o' Luv (8)
6. Freedom of Choice (9)
7. Gates of Steel (8)
8. Cold War (8)
9. Don't You Know (8)
10. That's Pop (8)
11. Mr. B's Ballroom (9)
12. Planet Earth (8)

OVERALL RATING: 8

(One caveat. While I stand by my rankings, I would say that listening to this entire album in one sitting would probably result in my rethinking whether all songs were "listenable without reservation". I mean, especially with those rated "8", there is a sameness about them. I'm not sure they'd all stand up when played one after another.)

My Devo album of choice, by a wide margin, is their first, "Are We Not Men, We Are Devo". It is quirky, funny, dark and has the great cover of "Satisfaction". I know when it shows up here, it'll get a "10" and a lot of the songs that are "10"'s will be in my Top 1000 songs of all time. I was trying to think of my favorite song of theirs NOT from the first album....perhaps, "Through Being Cool". That one always puts a smile on my face.

ed.

ALEXIS, another follower of the Amazon thread, contributed this to the Devo discussion:

876. Devo-Freedom Of Choice

I'll manage to squeeze another review in. Just.

Another album I need to purchase. These guys made looking geeky acceptable even 'cool'.
Devo were a little before their time. Go the guys with the flower pot hats!
I might add to this review another time as I'm phasing out. I'm giving it a 9/10 however.

No comments:

Post a Comment