Tuesday, February 15, 2011

878. Gram Parsons--Grevious Angel (1974) (2)

878. Gram Parsons--Grevious Angel (1974) (2)

FAMILIARITY: 0/10

1. Return of the Grevious Angel (?) (3)
2. Hearts on Fire (?) (3)
3. I Can't Dance (?) (4)
4. Brass Buttons (?) (2)
5. $1000 Wedding (?) (4)
6. Medley Live from Northern Quebec: (a) Cash on the Barrelhead, (b) Hickory Wind (?) (3)
7. Love Hurts (?) (8)
8. Ooh Las Vegas (?) (5)
9. In My Hour of Darkness (?) (3)

REVIEW: Nice stuff. Emmylou Harris sounds good. Definitely an album that would rise in estimation with more listens. As it is, I was entirely unfamiliar with it aside from one listen to the title track during the song countdown. I know the Nazareth and Everly Bros. version of Love Hurts, and now I can add their version to that. It gets a 2 for unfamiliarity.

ED'S TAKE:

1. Return of the Grevious Angel (10) Emmylou is an angel
2. Hearts on Fire (10)
3. I Can't Dance (9)
4. Brass Buttons (8)
5. $1000 Wedding (10)
6. Medley Live from Northern Quebec: (a) Cash on the Barrelhead, (b) Hickory Wind (10)
7. Love Hurts (10)
8. Ooh Las Vegas (8)
9. In My Hour of Darkness (9) ...rather chilling since it was closing his recording career shortly before his self-destructive death.

OVERALL ALBUM RATING: 9

I guess, numerically speaking, this one should be an 8. But, those "10" songs are sooooooo good to me, it pushes it over. In discussing duos in rock history (I tend always to remember X's great duo of John Doe and Exene Cervenka), Gram and Emmylou must be at or near the top.

ed.

No comments:

Post a Comment