Friday, February 25, 2011

842. Procol Harum (1967) (4)

842. Procol Harum (1967) (4)
US Release Track Listing

1. Whiter Shade of Pale (9)
2. She Wandered Through the Garden Fence (?) (2)
3. Something Following Me (?) (3)
4. Mabel (?) (3)
5. Cerdes (Outside the Gates Of) (?) (2)
6. A Christmas Camel (?) (3)
7. Conquistador (9+)
8. Kaleidoscope (?) (3)
9. Salad Days (Are Here Again) (?) (2)
10. Repent Walpurgis (?) (3+)

REVIEW: Two great songs, at least on the American release (Whiter did not appear on the UK release). I give it a 4 on the strength of those two.

ED'S TAKE:

#842 PROCOL HARUM - ST

1. A Whiter Shade of Pale +++10 (can I give an 11?)
2. She Wandered Thru the Garden Fence +++9
3. Something Following Me +++10
4. Mabel +++9
5. Cerdes (Outside the Gates Of) +++10
6. Christmas Camel +++10
7. Conquistador +++10
8. Kaleidoscope +++10
9. Salad Days (Are Here Again) +++10
10. Repent Walpurgis +++9

OVERALL RATING: 10

This is one of those albums that I remember listening to for the first time. I can't remember the date or even where I was except at home. It had to be shortly after it was released. I must say, in listening to it now, it was even more mindblowing then, having a very distinctive sound for its time. Perhaps some of the song ratings are a bit inflated, influenced by how I felt listening to it back then. Then again, I've never been sick of hearing "Whiter Shade....".

No comments:

Post a Comment