Monday, February 21, 2011

852. Emmylou Harris--Luxury Liner (1977) (2)

852. Emmylou Harris--Luxury Liner (1977) (2)
1. Luxury Liner (?) (4+)
2. Pancho and Lefty (?) (3)
3. Making Believe (?) (3)
4. You're Supposed to Be Feeling Good (?) (3)
5. I'll Be Your San Antone Rose (?) (3)
6. (You Never Can Tell) C'est La Vie (8)
7. When I Stop Dreaming (?) (2)
8. Hello Stranger (with Nicolette Larson) (?) (3+)
9. She (?) (3)
10. Tulsa Queen (?) (2+)

REVIEW: I knew nothing from this album, but I liked the cover of the Chuck Berry song, You Never Can Tell. So it gets a 2.

ED'S TAKE:

#852 - Luxury Liner - Emmylou Harris

1. Luxury Liner +++9
2. Pancho & Lefty +++10
3. Making Believe +++10
4. You're Supposed To Be Feeling Good +++10
5. I'll Be Your San Antone Rose +++9
6. (You Never Can Tell) C'est La Vie +++9 (nice cover of a great Chuck Berry tune)
7. When I Stop Dreaming +++10
8. Hello Stranger +++10
9. She +++10
10. Tulsa Queen +++9

OVERALL ALBUM RATING: 10

COMMENT: I hadn't heard this one in awhile and was blown away by its beauty. Emmylou's voice has always been a wonder to me but as time has gone on, I've come to a conclusion that her aging voice has got even better with the slight imperfections.....believing that, if anything, her voice was TOO pure sometimes to convey angst. I was wrong. I guess I've always struggled trying to figure out why I almost always enjoyed Emmylou's voice but often had problems with Joan Baez. While there is a LOT of differences between their voices, stylistically, they both have a "purity" to them. I think a lot of it might be intonation. Whatever it is, this album was a beauty and still is.

No comments:

Post a Comment