Friday, March 4, 2011

822. Green Day--Nimrod (1997; #10) (2)

822. Green Day--Nimrod (1997; #10) (2)
1. Nice Guys Finish Last (?) (3)
2. Hitchin' a Ride (2)
3. The Grouch (?) (2)
4. Redundant (6)
5. Scattered (?) (2)
6. All the Time (?) (3)
7. Worry Rock (?) (2)
8. Platypus (I Hate You) (?) (1)
9. Uptight (?) (2)
10. Last Ride In (?) (3)
11. Jinx (?) (3)
12. Haushinka (?) (2)
13. Walking Alone (?) (2)
14. Reject (?) (2)
15. Take Back (?) (1)
16. King for a Day (?) (4)
17. Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) (7+)
18. Prosthetic Head (?) (2)

REVIEW: Knew 3 of the songs here, and like two of them, with #17 being one of my favorites from them. A lot of other unfamiliar stuff, but pretty much to Green Day form, though I'd say #8 and #15 probably harken back to the sound they had before the GD purists say they sold out. A 2 from me.

ED'S TAKE:

822 - GREEN DAY - NIMROD

1. Nice Guys Finish Last +++9
2. Hitchin a Ride +++10
3. The Grouch +++10
4. Redundant +++9
5. Scattered +++9
6. All the Time +++9
7. Worry Rock +++8
8. Platypus (I Hate You) +++8
9. Uptight +++9
10. Last Ride In +++9
11. Jinx +++8
12. Haushinka +++8
13. Walking Alone +++9
14. Reject +++8
15. Take Back +++9 (a little screamo in there)
16. King for a Day +++9
17. Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) +++9
18. Prosthetic Head +++9

OVERALL ALBUM RATING: 9

DISCUSSION: I aways liked Green Day's version of punk pop. I also got a real kick out of the fact that their rep was so varied that if you went on ANY punk board ANYWHERE and began a topic "SO HOW COOL IS GREEN DAY?" or "IS GREEN DAY PUNK"? or better yet, "IS GREEN DAY THE BEST PUNK BAND AROUND"? you'd get 100 posts a day, most suggesting that Green Day was NOT punk, never WAS punk and never WOULD BE punk, not so much because of the infectious quality of their music suggesting pop influences, but rather because "GREEN DAY DIDN'T/DOESN'T LIVE THE PUNK LIFESTYLE". I never quite got exactly what that meant but it probably had something to do with their popularity. It was their punk duty to remain poor and live in squalor. Weirdly, a lot of those "fans" that turned on them when they got MTV exposure actually didn't get so mad when their "AMERICAN IDIOT" became a monster hit. It taught me something important though. All those people who referred to me as a "hippie" in the 60's were dead wrong. I was in the Army at the time (circa 65-71) and no one can live the "hippie life style" in the Army. Oh sure, I blew some weed and popped some pills and drank some cough syrup (Romilar CF was MY personal choice) but I had to keep my hair decently cropped and even in Korean and Thailand, they frowned on communal living on post except man on man (?). I actually had to go thru a checkpost to even leave the post, let alone indulge in any female companionship. I won't even get into the time I signed a transvestite hooker onto post as my "date". Well I thought it was funny. And kinda hippie in a perverse way

No comments:

Post a Comment