Sunday, March 13, 2011

803. The Doors--Waiting for the Sun (1968; #1) (0)

803. The Doors--Waiting for the Sun (1968; #1) (0)

1. Hello, I Love You (8)
2. Love Street (6)
3. Not to Touch the Earth (2)
4. Summer's Almost Gone (?) (2)
5. Wintertime Love (?) (2)
6. The Unknown Soldier (3+)
7. Spanish Caravan (?) (2)
8. My Wild Love (?) (3)
9. We Could Be So Good Together (?) (3)
10. Yes, the River Knows (?) (2+)
11. Five to One (3)

REVIEW: There's gotta be something wrong with a rating system that awards a 0 to an album I have in my collection and from which I like two songs. But it's because I dislike three of the other songs that I'm familiar with. Anyway, I'm sticking with the system through thick and thin, tweaking it now and then where I see fit.

ED'S TAKE:

803. The Doors--Waiting for the Sun (1968; #1)

1. Hello, I Love You (9) Nice riff and fuzz guitar....
2. Love Street (9) On the surface, not much, but its quite pretty
3. Not to Touch the Earth (8)
4. Summer's Almost Gone (9) Jimbo's great vocal and that guitar!
5. Wintertime Love (8) Quite odd as a Doors song but it works for me
6. The Unknown Soldier (8) A bit hokey with the sound effects
7. Spanish Caravan (8)
8. My Wild Love (8)
9. We Could Be So Good Together (8)
10. Yes, the River Knows (9)
11. Five to One (10)

OVERALL RATING: A somewhat weak 9

DISCUSSION: I remember quite distinctly how much flack this album got after The Doors self titled album and Strange Days. They decided to expand their sound a bit and many critics went wild. Still, the album did ok in sales and in listening to it after all these years, it IS inferior to those first two but not by THAT much....The ballads showed off Jim's voice in a different light. Anyway, a "throwaway" album to some, but I've enjoyed it over the years....

No comments:

Post a Comment