Sunday, March 6, 2011

820. Soundtrack--O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000; #1) (6)

820. Soundtrack--O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000; #1) (6)

1. James Carter and the Prisoners--Po' Lazarus (5)
2. Harry McClintock--Big Rock Candy Mountain (6)
3. Norman Blake--You Are My Sunshine (7+)
4. Alison Krauss--Down in the River to Pray (5+)
5. Soggy Bottom Boys and Dan Tyminski--Man of Constant Sorrow (5)
6. Chris Thomas King--Hard Time Killing Floor Blues (?) (2)
7. Norman Blake--Man of Constant Sorrow (5)
8. The Whites--Keep on the Sunny Side (5)
9. Allison Krauss and Gillian Welch--I'll Fly Away (8+)
10. Emmylou Harris, Allison Krauss, and Gillian Welch--Didn't Leave Nobody but the Baby (?) (5) (what a scene though--"I seen 'em first!"--John Turturro)
11. Leah, Sarah, and Hannah Peasall--In the Highways (?) (2)
12. The Cox Family of Cotton Valley, Louisiana--I Am Weary, Let Me Rest (?) (3+)
13. John Hartford--Man of Constant Sorrow (4)
14. Ralph Stanley--O Death (2)
15. Soggy Bottom Boys and Tim Blake Nelson--In the Jailhouse Now (6)
16. Soggy Bottom Boys and Dan Tyminski--Man of Constant Sorrow (with band) (5)
17. John Hartford--Indian War Whoop (?) (3)
18. The Fairfield Four--Lonesome Valley (?) (4)
19. The Stanley Brothers--Angel Band (?) (2)

REVIEW: This is one of my all-time favorite movies, and the music is inseperable from it. This album was the first to give me at least an appreciation of bluegrass music. Of course, the angelic voice of Allison Krauss didn't hurt. I considered the multiple versions of "Man of Constant Sorrow" as one when calculating the rating. I give it a 6 overall, but of course it would be much higher if linked to the movie itself.


ED'S TAKE

820. Soundtrack--O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000)

1. James Carter and the Prisoners--Po' Lazarus (+++ 8)
2. Harry McClintock--Big Rock Candy Mountain (++ 5)
3. Norman Blake--You Are My Sunshine (+++9)
4. Alison Krauss--Down in the River to Pray (++7)
5. Soggy Bottom Boys and Dan Tyminski--Man of Constant Sorrow (+++10)
6. Chris Thomas King--Hard Time Killing Floor Blues (+++8)
7. Norman Blake--Man of Constant Sorrow (++7)
8. The Whites--Keep on the Sunny Side (+++9) I love those less than perfect voices with this kind of music.
9. Allison Krauss and Gillian Welch--I'll Fly Away (+++9)
10. Emmylou Harris, Allison Krauss, and Gillian Welch--Didn't Leave Nobody but the Baby (+++8) The singers and the harmonies are beautiful but I miss the rawness of some of the other ensemble singing...
11. Leah, Sarah, and Hannah Peasall--In the Highways (++6)
12. The Cox Family of Cotton Valley, Louisiana--I Am Weary, Let Me Rest (+++9)
13. John Hartford--Man of Constant Sorrow (+++8)
14. Ralph Stanley--O Death (+++10) chilling voice
15. Soggy Bottom Boys and Tim Blake Nelson--In the Jailhouse Now (+++9)
16. Soggy Bottom Boys and Dan Tyminski--Man of Constant Sorrow (with band) (+++9)
17. John Hartford--Indian War Whoop (+++8)
18. The Fairfield Four--Lonesome Valley (++7)
19. The Stanley Brothers--Angel Band (+++9)

OVERALL RATING: 9

DISCUSSION: I love the movie - I love the music. Considering all but a couple are "covers", the album has both a purity and a grit that I appreciate. And I realized that Clooney can act.

No comments:

Post a Comment