Sunday, February 12, 2012

784. The Doobie Brothers--The Captain and Me (1973; #7) (4)



1. Natural Thing (?) (2+)
2. Long Train Runnin' (8)
3. China Grove (7+)
4. Dark Eyed Cajun Woman (?) (3+) (echoes of The Thrill Is Gone)
5. Clear As the Driven Snow (?) (1+)
6. Without You (?) (2)
7. South City Midnight Lady (?) (3)
8. Evil Woman (?) (-)
9. Busted Down Around O'Connelly Corners (?) (-)
10. Ukiah (?) (5)
11. The Captain and Me (?) (2+)

REVIEW: I have this album back home, but I can only remember tracks 2 & 3, which of course are classic rock radio staples. I like those two and was impressed with Ukiah. I give it a 4, with a good chance to move up.


ED'S TAKE:
784. The Doobie Brothers--The Captain and Me (1973; #7) 

1. Natural Thing (6)
2. Long Train Runnin' (9) a very nice groove
3. China Grove (6)
4. Dark Eyed Cajun Woman (8)
5. Clear as the Driven Snow (7)
6. Without You (7)
7. South City Midnight Lady (5)
8. Evil Woman (6)
9. Busted Down Around O'Connelly Corners (8)
10. Ukiah (8)
11. The Captain and Me (8)

OVERALL RATING 7

DISCUSSION: My memory of pre-Michael McDonald Doobies is a good one....I particularly remember seeing them on tv in concert and their band energy and the 2 vocalists were quite entertaining. The problem here is that even with that positivity, some of the songs don't "catch me". I mean, they're all listenable but at least have something "missing". I realize, Mark, that such seemingly MAJOR criticism (it's NOT to me) still being a "7" and not a "2" is head shaking stuff but it again is part of my emphasis here on how I feel about actually listening to these albums. I could enjoy listening to this album with some reservation, namely, some of the songs are only average. (Average. BTW, is "5"). But my feelings about their band dynamic and their vocalists bring those "5" songs up a notch or two. 

ed.

No comments:

Post a Comment