Sunday, February 19, 2012

783. Joni Mitchell--Ladies of the Canyon (1970) (2)


1. Morning Morgantown (?) (3+)
2. For Free (?) (2)
3. Conversation (?) (2)
4. Ladies of the Canyon (?) (2)
5. Willy (?) (2)
6. The Arrangement (?) (2+)
7. Rainy Night House (?) (2)
8. The Priest (?) (2+)
9. Blue Boy (?) (2)
10. Big Yellow Taxi (8)
11. Woodstock (6+)
12. The Circle Game (1+) 

REVIEW: I like the two well-known songs but didn't hear much from the other tracks that I liked. And I vaguely recall "The Circle Game"--must have heard it as a youngster--and my dislike for that one brought it down a notch. A 2.




ED'S TAKE:1. Morning Morgantown (8) NOT one of my favorite Joni tunes but she's listenable enough for me to enjoy even her lesser tunes without reservation.
2. For Free (9) Perhaps a bit overly self-congratulatory at her respect for the street musician but it still works....the piano and that voice!
3. Conversation (8) I usually don't like Joni's upbeat songs as much, but I like this one.
4. Ladies of the Canyon (8) Another lesser tune for me...a bit too fey if that's the word. But I love the voice(s)
5. Willy (9) I missed this one. When I was making a mix of my favorite Joni songs some months ago, I don't even remember listening to this for possible inclusion. I wonder why?
6. The Arrangement (10) A favorite from this album
7. Rainy Night House (10) Another favorite although I prefer the live version she does elsewhere. She does a high note there that is absolutely chilling.
8. The Priest (8)
9. Blue Boy (10) Another one I missed in considering in my "favorite" mix.
10. Big Yellow Taxi (9) Another upbeat one I like...fun and cynical
11. Woodstock (10) I LOVE THIS! Maybe, for some, CSN's version is MORE an ode to rock n roll because of the "sound" but this IS a favorite of mine as songs go.....the song, the vocal, the arrangement....EVERYTHING! I even, sometimes, hear a bit of "questioning" in the lyric, wondering what Woodstock will represent in the whole scheme of things (she wasn't there).....
12. The Circle Game (8)

OVERALL RATING: 9

DISCUSSION: Once, many years ago, Rachel and I decided to experiment with a "listening hour" where we'd each pick an album and we'd listen together. One of my first was a Joni Mitchell album and I KNEW our experiment wouldn't work. I think, at some point later, she referred to Joni as "the headache woman". I'm not certain she still feels that way because I seldom play her thru the speakers when she's in earshot. (Protecting Joni from further insult, no doubt). It's simply NOT my wife's style of music. (We DO share "Louie Louie", "Wooly Bully", Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Dylan and lots of others, so no harm, no foul)

What can I say? I am a Joni fan although her earlier folk stuff sounds a bit lacking to me now. This was such a big album in its time and only logs in at #783 making me guess that my favorite Joni albums won't make it at all. My favorite is one that hardly anyone picks for anything..."For the Roses". Then there's "Hissing of Summer Lawns". "Blue", while not as popular as this one or "Court and Spark" is on EVERY critics list all the time and WILL be here somewhere and I'm glad. It is another favorite of mine. 

There is no doubt. My TWO "headache women" ARE Joni and Laura Nyro. Their voices and their styles are a matter of taste (isn't everyones?).....As great a songwriter as they both are/were, I sometimes think either of them could cover ANYTHING and make it sound wonderful. Part of it was their voices and part was their innate taste in instrumental accompaniment. 

ed

No comments:

Post a Comment